Category

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Mauritius - Paradise Island In The 'Deep Sea'

Spending one week in Mauritius island had been an experience I will never forget. The stunning natural beauty of this island truly captivated me.

You can clearly see the algae and seaweed in the water!



Before I departed to Mauritius, I've been frequently receiving questions such as "Where in the world is Mauritius?" or "What language do Mauritians speak?". Honestly, I had a general idea of this island, but I am ashamed to say that didn't have decent answers to all these questions!

Mauritius is an island in the Indian Ocean, located on the southeast coast of the African continent. The official language of this island is English, but majority of them speak French and Creole (an informal language created by the slaves in the 18th century because they needed to communicate with their French masters and other slaves). This island has different religions peacefully living next to each other. You will find Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, and even a bit of Buddhism. Our personal local driver, Vijay, proudly explained "We all live together happily on this island."


A photo of the busy and crowded street of Mauritius's capital, Port Louis.


This Roman Catholic Church by the beach made this village of Cap Malheureux a popular tourist destination. It is famous for its bright red roof. This village is located at the northern tip of Mauritius island. The name of the village means unlucky due to the countless shipwrecks over the years. I found it hard to believe when I looked out over the calming tranquil turqoise waters.

Miniature model of the church, found in Casella.

This exotic island is surrounded by an outer reef, which breaks the waves from coming in from the ocean. It means that the water is crystal clear and calm. It becomes a safety 'net' for water activities enthusiasts to avoid sharks!

Besides being fascinated by the blue waters and clear skies, my trip to Mauritius came with a few firsts. It marked the very first time my family and I traveled to Africa (ps. you don't need any special travel vaccination, there is no Malaria on this island). I also tried some other water sports for the first time.

It was my first time trying out water ski! I couldn't be more anxious when I waited for the speed boat to arrive.

Water skiing, beginner style (; It was not tooooo bad.


Sailing time!

Of all times, my sister and I decided to kayak under the scorching hot sun. Regardless the heat, the corals beneath the ocean were crystal clear.


I am not even surprised to get this tan.

We also played beach volleyball and water polo with different people, it was amazing! (ps. Our team was the winning team)

Mauritius Island is the place where you can find different kinds of native species of floral and fauna. Most of them are threatened with extinction, despite the fact that many Mauritians are already taking the initiative to save these animals and plants. As for the famous Dodo bird...it was too late.

The ineluctable giant water lillies found in the National Botanical Garden of Mauritius

Aldabra Giant Tortoises are one of the longest lived animals, they have lived over a hundred years of age. All of these tortoises in the reserve were born in captivity.


One of the best experience I had from this trip was definitely swimming with wild dolphins. Yes, the keyword is 'wild'. It was a whole new level of excitement. Our tiny speed boat cruised beyond the rough waves at the edge of the island's outer reef, into the open sea. We sped ahead to the deeper part of the ocean for about an hour, until we saw a school of dolphins. There were a total of six! They came out to the water surface to breathe every few minutes. Our speed boat frantically chased them, going deeper into the ocean and I could barely see the island anymore.

A total of three hours in the open sea looking for wild dolphins. It was worth it! I managed to touch one but our guide said it's better not to distrupt them as they're not the same as tamed dolphins we see in the zoo.

This reminds me of the recent Chris Hemsworth movie 'Heart of the Sea'






The sunset in Mauritius island is beyond compare. As I felt my feet sunk into the warm sand, I was fascinated by the pink, red, and orange brush stroke that set the sky alight. There is truly no better way to end a day in a paradise like this.



Mocktail/cocktail + sunset = perfection. This is the beautiful ombre tone of virgin pinna collada that matches the stunning sunset.


Sunset and Le Morne.
Le Morne is a rugged mountain in the southwest of Mauritius Island. It was a safe shelter for the slaves from the 18th century to early 19th century. The escaped slaves formed a small settlement on the summit of Le Morne and in the caves. Le Morne is made a symbol of the slaves fighting for their freedom, their sufferings, and their sacrifice.

As Mark Twain wrote: "You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first and then heaven, and that heaven was copied after Mauritius." Agreed.


Lucky find by the beach!
The Chamarel waterfall is the highest waterfall in Mauritius. This vivid view of the waterfall is from the upper view point of the Black River National Park. The height of the waterfall is being compared to the statue of liberty!



 The seven coloured earth is a natural phenomenon. These various colours developed due to the different compositions. If you try mixing the coloured earth together, they will eventually seperate and form layers.


This trip for me was a once in a life time opportunity, the trip ticked some things off my bucket list! I was lucky enough to experience things I thought I didn't have courage to. Overall I had a splendid time in Mauritius! Stay tuned for more travel stories :)




3 comments: